As soon as a customer or a visitor signs up to your website to receive mail from you, it marks the beginning of your long journey with them.
The journey you’re looking forward to is based on trust and satisfaction. Your customer is supposed to trust you, and you are supposed to satisfy your customers with the customer experience you offer them.
Significance of Welcome Emails
Welcome emails are one of the best ways to welcome your clients to this new journey with you. One must realize that when a customer has signed up with your website and gets on board with you, the welcome email is not just a formality to confirm the completion of their sign up process but an opportunity in your hands to make sure that you make a memorable, positive and long-lasting impression of your brand on the customer.
To help you get started, we’re here with five best practices that you should employ in your welcome emails to engage new users.
Read on to know more!
1. Get the timing of your welcome emails right.
As important as the welcome emails are, it is equally important to send them on time. One might wonder what the best time to send a welcome email is. Those who understand a customer’s perspective will know that a welcome email should be sent immediately after receiving the sign-up request.
Since the customer is still on your website, they’ll be willing to discover more about your brand, and what better than a welcome mail to advertise your brand and product. Also, when a welcome mail is received by the customer immediately after signing up to your website, it improves its probability of being opened and read and not just being ignored from the notification bar. Do not fail to surprise and impress your customer with your spontaneity.
2. Use the welcome email effectively.
Welcome emails are critical for brands. Since its probability of being read is higher than the other emails, it holds great importance. Hence, when a brand sends over a customer welcoming mail, they must ensure that the email is used to its maximum potential to yield full benefits.
There are five different ways a welcome email can be leveraged;
- Promotion: A customer signing up for your website’s mailing services is a clear hint that they are interested in your brand and could be willing to make a purchase. Make sure that you draft the email in a way that encompasses all the promotional values of your brand.
- Education: Welcome email is an excellent opportunity to educate the customers about your brand and get them further interested in it. You can tell them about your brand’s history, the products you sell, and the social causes that your brand supports. This develops an evolved relationship between the customer and the brand.
- Profiling: Using the customer welcoming email, you can collect a suitable amount of information about the customer. This will provide you with enough data on the customer to understand their needs and send them relevant products and emails.
- Expansion: Along with the message welcoming the customer and confirming their sign-up, the email should also contain information related to or links to different social media pages of your brand. The more platforms the customer connects with you, the higher importance they’ll hold for your brand. It will also encourage them to promote your brand.
- Evangelism: Ask your customers to refer your brand to their friends and relatives. You can reward them with points or cashback on their orders if someone registers on your website using the referral code. Some brands provide their customers with reward points when the order placed by their referral customer has been delivered.
3. Do not overwhelm your customers with unnecessary CTAs.
Throwing some CTAs in the way of your customer in the welcome email is an excellent way to keep them engaged and increase their interest in your brand. But an email packed with CTAs will work to distract the customers, and there are chances that the customer might not pay attention to all the CTAs listed in the mail.
So, try to steer clear of pushing your customer to make a purchase instantly in a direct way. Instead, you can showcase some of your best offers to tempt them into buying from you. If they go ahead with the purchase, you can cross-sell by presenting them with additional recommendations on similar products.
4. Send a series of welcome emails.
Data shows that a series of three welcome emails leads to 90% more orders than a single email. However, this number can be even higher if you know what to say to your new subscribers. So, break down your welcome email into a series of emails containing different CTAs. This will allow the customer to maintain their interest in each and accomplish most of them.
Approaching the customer multiple times will help you create and reinforce a solid first impression and drive your sales exponentially. For instance, you can send the first email welcoming the subscriber onboard and introducing the benefits of joining the community.
Your second email can tell your brand’s story, and you produce your products. You can give social proof in the third email and offer discounts on their first purchase. You can introduce the value in the first email too.
5. Use images to showcase your products.
Your welcome email shouldn’t be shy or modest. After all, it’s your best chance to introduce your brand to interested customers. So, use your trump cards to swoon your customers- beautiful images of happy customers, free returns, warranty, your most popular products, etc.
However, this tactic is more likely to succeed if you own a B2C brand, as you can get away with lots of image-based content in B2C email marketing. Also, don’t add an image merely for adding it. Use the most relevant images that can add some value to your email.
It all comes down to…
A welcome email is an essential tool in the hands of brands to leave a positive and long-lasting impression on their customers. When your subscribers give you their information, they expect you to provide them with certain benefits and give them slightly special treatment. It would help if you tried to be professional yet relatable when you shoot your welcome emails.
Remember, the key to sending an impressive welcome email is sending the kind of email you’d like to receive.
Crafting an effective welcome email may take a little bit of time. But you can always use email automation tools to make your email process easy and seamless.
Take Wigzo’s free trial today to automate your welcome emails and make your customers come back to you for more.